Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ben Fang - "Come Join the Band" 2013!

Hi, my name is Ben Fang and I am a new IfCM summer intern.


I am currently pursuing my BM in guitar performance at the Eastman School of Music, expected to graduate this coming Spring. I began my musical life on the piano and violin when I was very young, picking up the saxophone in grade school and the guitar in middle school. Initially, my training was exclusively classical, but it wasn’t long before I couldn’t help but create my own tunes. Ever since my first (and not very good) composition, creative music making has been one of my favorite activities. Many musicians, despite wanting to compose, claim to be devoid of the skill which they believe only a select few possess. I couldn’t disagree more! I think that everyone’s mind has the capacity to be create art. Often, it is not a lack of ability, but rather a lack of faith in one’s own ability that prevents us from trying new things. I would love to see this barrier torn down.


My main duties for IfCM this summer revolve around the wonderful pre-college program,Come Join the Band: Creative Music Making for Everyone. Chris Teal and Alan Murphy are teaching high school musicians the fundamentals of being a musician, band member and creative person in general. Sound like big goals to you? They are. But these kids are quick learners and Chris and Alan are amazing teachers. I am learning just as much about teaching as the students are about playing instruments! Working with the kids has been an immense pleasure. There is nothing quite like seeing the look on a student’s face when an idea clicks.


We covered a lot of ground last week. I had expected to be spending all of our time playing instruments and singing, but one day Allan had something very different planned for us. Drawing from Julia Cameron’s book,The Artist’s Way, he introduced us to a couple of exercises designed to jumpstart creativity. The first was a free-write, in which we each privately wrote whatever occurred to us in our notebooks for 15 minutes. The one rule: just keep writing. I found that by putting my thoughts on paper, one letter at a time, I was able to slow down my thought process and unscramble a mess of ideas that had been bouncing around in my brain. Whenever we write or compose, many of us are prone to creating and proofreading simultaneously. Sometimes the proofreading can get out of hand, preventing us from writing down anything at all. A daily free-write can free up one’s creative side, shutting off the inner critic for a moment.


The second exercise he presented is called “Creative Monsters and Creative Allies.” We began by each recalling a person or event that had in some way hindered our creativity, then describing how this made us feel and how we reacted. I was pleased to hear how most of the students had managed to rise above the negative influence of their experiences. The second half of the activity was to recall and describe just the opposite: a person or event that had inspired us to be more creative. Usually this came in the form of an encouraging peer or teacher. I think that by considering the things in our lives that positively or negatively impact our creativity (or anything for that matter), we can do a better job of putting ourselves in environments that foster creativity.


Today we are heading to the recording studio to record two songs that the kids have learned.  They will be playing Paramore’s “Crushcrushcrush” and Alicia Keys’ “No One.” None of them have had any recording experience so they will be learning a lot in the coming hours. I’m having a blast and I’m looking forward to hearing them perform at the end of the week!


      - Ben Fang

No comments:

Post a Comment